Here it is... the last off road ride of this season.
This month's race will be held in Hesarghatta, the playground of our very own Cleated Warriors <http://www.facebook.com/cleatedwarriors> team. Before getting into details lets take a moment to thank Venkat and CW team for the awesome work that they have done in finding a trail for this race, creating a (fake) Georg Map of the circuit and making several other arrangements for the race.
*Race details:* *Place: *Hesarghatta
*Driving directions:*http://goo.gl/ND7By - this is a 'Dummies Guide to reach Hesarghatta' and is very detailed, hence lengthy. You might want to print this (try to print on 'used' paper).
*Race route:*http://goo.gl/DT3j7 - This is a (fake) Georg Map and very well made. Kudos to Venkat once again!!
*Time:* 0730 IST (We are trying to make this 0830IST. Will keep posted)
*Distance:*~2.5 km x 5 laps.
*Register:* You can register herefor racing and volunteering.
* Since this is an off - road race, please do expect thorns on the track. It pays to be prepared for punctures and not get a surprise. * Can you use a hybrid - this is up to you to decide. The course is not as technical as Turahalli is. * You might want to spend 4 mins listening to Jessi talk about how to get your bike race ready here -
Since this is the last off road race of the season we thought it would be a good idea not to have just a race - race but a Race - race. Know what it means?? Here is a sneak peak: - *Kiddies race* - (request to all mums and dads, pls ensure that your tough guys are wearing a helmet too) - *Quiz - Flavour of Bangalore *(we would like this to be a verbal treasure hunt of sorts and if you think you can help out please let us know) - *Breakfast for Bikers - *we thought it would be a good idea to have a big breakfast for bikers at bbch (costing is underway) - *BBCh recruitment drive* - we need enthusiastic people at BBCh to ensure every single race runs better in 2012. - *Basic workshop on Bikes* - This should help noobs and if folks have had punctures then the learners would have a good hands on experience fixing flats.
We will have the usual ambulance and first aid kit.
However, we need help with the following: *- Volunteering for the race. *- Spreading the word around - Tweet it, FB it, Google + it, post it up at office, your gym, your favourite coffee shop, [OT] this in other online forums that you are part of, whatever you can.. *- transport of bikes and bikers - if needed.
If you think you can help with any of the above please get in touch.
As always we'll have photographers to document the event. Having videographers would be wonderful as well. If you have friends interested in having a field day please do bring them along. Lastly, please contribute to the Vit M box. This is very essential to keep running the races. We think 200 INR per biker makes our Vit M kitty feel like it has something inside.
Disclaimer - The above post is written without any gender, regional or otherwise bias and in a positive frank tone. Any other interpretation is the reader's imagination, not mine! Ideal Homework a Newbie should do Another Start point
A suspension lockable MTB running non-MTB tyres, or a cyclocross bike would probably have been a good choice for this route I think.
I shifted from my stock Trek 3700 to my wife's rigid frame rockrider 5.0 MTB running 1.5 semi-slicks mid way through the race as I had a flat, and I was amazed by the difference in speed. Was easily 30% faster on 80% of the trail. Not really slower on the other 20% either, just that a lot of the vibration was being absorbed by the arms instead of the suspension.
Talking of Bangalore, the only places I would want a suspension or knobby tyres are the Savandurga trails or the Turahalli downhill. Thats about it.
Amarpreet, it's all in your mind! Your first two laps were the fastest. Here's your individual lap timings 1. 11:30 2. 12:24 3. 19:16 4. 12:49 5. 12:47
In my experience, I've been on a number of CAM rides wishing I had an MTB instead of my hybrid. Coming down slopes on bad roads is pretty good reason to switch to an MTB. I've done it on my hybrid, but it is a lot more fun on my (new) MTB!
arvindg wrote:Amarpreet, it's all in your mind! Your first two laps were the fastest. Here's your individual lap timings
That's interesting. Maybe the slowdown in the bumpy parts was more than what it felt like. Straight parts were def faster, that is for sure.
And yup, a bumpy jeeptrack downhill , I would probably want a suspension. But not knobby tyres I think. Those I would want if I was on a technical trail with hard gravel or slippery rocks. Gonna experiment next bbch season, lets see how the results look.