New models from Hero Cycles

Tech specs, rider feedback, different model discussions...

New models from Hero Cycles

Postby pranavnegandhi » October 1st, 2008, 6:13 pm

Hero has come out with some new models on their website. They're <ahem> creative.

But I don't quite understand what purpose the geometry of these bikes serves. The Octane, still looks somewhat like a dirt bike of sorts, but what's with the Acrobats? Both models remind me of a crossbow and I would half-expect anybody riding on it to shoot off into space like an arrow. And the rear-rack and front-baskets sets a new standard in ugly design. Anybody else want to chime in with an opinion?

Acrobat MS

Acrobat 26T

Octane NV

.p
pranavnegandhi
-
-

Re: New models from Hero Cycles

Postby RNair » October 1st, 2008, 6:21 pm

I think the first thing they need to do is learn to make simple geometry bikes with quality components, these bikes are a joke!!!! But I am sure there is a market for such crap for people concerned with distorted taste :-)
-------------------
Sorry If I have to post this, but are these objects for real or is it a parody?
Last edited by abhi on October 7th, 2008, 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged consecutive posts.
Please don't save humanity. The planet will thank you.
http://www.tourofnilgiris.com
Dogma 65.1, Dogma 60.1, Storck Absolutist, Colnago K Zero TT, Ridley X Fire (disc), Pinarello Paris, Ferrari Colnago Ltd Edition, Bianchi Volpe .... etc etc
RNair
-
-

Postby sudipto » October 1st, 2008, 7:21 pm

pranavnegandhi wrote: Anybody else want to chime in with an opinion?

Ugh and yuck are the first words that came to my mind, but worryingly, this is the direction most manufacturers are headed in.
sudipto
-
-

Postby RNair » October 1st, 2008, 7:32 pm

Maybe I was wrong! I think this was designed to ride over the moon while filling the baskets with moon rocks! Genius.
Dogma 65.1, Dogma 60.1, Storck Absolutist, Colnago K Zero TT, Ridley X Fire (disc), Pinarello Paris, Ferrari Colnago Ltd Edition, Bianchi Volpe .... etc etc
RNair
-
-

Postby ajay890 » October 1st, 2008, 7:36 pm

Yuck yuck crapppppp!!!!!!.
HERO OCTANE (short lived)
TREK 3700
TREK 1.2
KHS ALITE 1000
ajay890
-
-

Postby pranavnegandhi » October 1st, 2008, 7:49 pm

RNair wrote:Sorry If I have to post this, but are these objects for real or is it a parody?

Quite real.

Sudipto, if what you say is true then we Indians either suck big time in appreciating good design or the manufacturers are completely off-base when they try to cater to our needs. I know Atlas has some worrying designs put up on their website, but BSA and Hercules seem to be staying on the right side of the line of bad design.

I find full-suspension bikes themselves lacking in aesthetic appeal, but that is just me. I would reject one of those even from Merida or Trek, preferring instead the simple lines of a classic Velorbis. But these bikes have stretched all limits of ugliness. And can someone explain why does a full-suspension bike need a rear rack? And welded onto the frame, no less.

<sigh>
pranavnegandhi
-
-

Postby jaudere » October 1st, 2008, 8:45 pm

hmmm,

something like the creations seen on F TV. something which can be wore only the ramp and not in day to day life. btw these bikes won't look good even on the ramp.

but people have different views. i have taken out mudguard and carrier from my Navigator and so many people have told me here that the bike looks very ugly without the mudguards and the carrier.but of course i love it that way and the bike will remain that way.

many of us who are cycling enthusiasts may be going on hills just for fun .for people in village, it is like daily dirt track racing to earn bread and butter. may be hero has developed it for this purpose. even in villages , roadsters are out of fashion and MTBs are the 'in things'. but i hope hero has kept the prices reasonable.

btw, another fellow from my hospital has fallen for LA navigator after watching me ride on my bike. he bought it today from surinder's.
LA-Sovereign Navigator (2008, wiaitng for rim change)
Schwinn Frontier sports (2011 up and running)
LA-Sovereign Urbano 18 speed (2012:sold)
Fuji Sportif 1.1 (2013, up and running)
jaudere
-
-

My Goal: Enjoy cycling till I can.

Postby arenabon » October 1st, 2008, 8:57 pm

we expect better stuff hero!
arenabon
-
-

Postby RNair » October 1st, 2008, 9:31 pm

That is not a mountain bike!! I don't know what it is. I think the idea here is that while riding to work (hence the panniers to put your laptop) you can try to do a few bike stunts on the road while stopping at the red lights ( the bmx style suspensions come into play) and on the way back from work you can please your spouse by using the basket to fill the groceries. Genius. Now that is what I call a true Hybrid. Whoever designed this bike must have been seriously abused when he/she was a kid devoid of bicycles and toys. You can see the desperation written all over the bike!!!
RNair
-
-

Postby Minkey Chief » October 1st, 2008, 11:39 pm

People sometimes accuse me of India-bashing, but the reason that products like these (and the attitudes that created them) make me angry is that there is no reason why it should be that way. I refuse to accept the reasoning that: "Oh this is India, come on--that's how it is" and will, within reason, hold India to an international standard.

I say "within reason" because, with bikes for example, we don't have a mass culture of active bike racers. So maybe our racing frames or downhill frames may not be that great. But why should our regular frames be any less well-designed than a frame designed in the US or Italy? Are our engineers incapable of applying sound design priniciples? I refuse to believe that.

My take is that these bikes are the unfortunate result of sudden globalisation. We have suddenly, after years of staid single-speed, steel unsuspended bikes suddenly been opened to the possibility of suspension, gearing and aluminium and so, the aesthetic has swung to the extreme, just as a baroque period will follow one of minimalism.

What's scary is that these aren't products to put on a mantelpiece, but things that our children will ride and entrust their lives to. Things that can change our health and happiness (even our cities), provided they don't explode on contact with a pothole. Can you imagine the effects of metal fatigue on those frames? They'll probably eviscerate you if they fail.
God, I'm still looking at them in horror. Can you imagine curving a front fork so much it needs extra struts to brace it? Or is that some kind of suspension?
2009 Bianchi Volpe, Iro Mark V, 2010 Cannondale CAAD9 4
http://velokundi.blogspot.com/
Quick reference needed? Cheat sheet here.
Minkey Chief

Next

Return to Cycle models and brands