Review: Btwin Rockrider 5.1 after 1500 kms

Please post only reviews in this section. For all other discussions use the "Cycle models and brands" section. It would be necessary to back up any claims made in this section with logical/ scientific/ pictorial proof. If you think any posts should be moved to this section, inform Abhi.
Forum rules
Read the Product Review Posting Guidelines before posting.

Review: Btwin Rockrider 5.1 after 1500 kms

Postby Pankaj_Chuladhara » July 24th, 2009, 7:06 pm

Now that I have a lot of time in hand I thought I will write a well deserved review of my bike, Btwin Rockrider 5.1, a Decathlon creation.
For specifictions please go to following link.

http://www.btwincycle.com/EN/rockrider-5-1-men-s-25131570/

I bought it a little more than three months ago from BOTS for 12K and have done around 1500 kms.
Have rode mostly on roads and very little off-road. The rides include two trips to Nandi hills, few century +/- rides, one Bangalore-Mysore ride, one Mysore-Mudhumalai-Mysore ride (in rains mostly) and an off-road near Sarjapur Road (around 30 kms). So, the bike has seen most of the terrains possible near Bangalore.

Major issues faced till now:
1. One flat while climbing Nandi- But it can happen to any bike any time :)
2. The rear derailleur wheel alignment got a little bent towards the wheel while on a ride and the chain was not shifting to the highest gear. While on the lowest it was touching the spokes of the rear wheel. I corrected the shifting problem by adjusting the cable tension (courtesy Youtube) and the Rohan pulled the derailleur wheels a little outside and it has been working fine since then.

1. Overall a decent bike for beginers. It is not a buy and forget-maintenance kind of bike and I think that is good for the biker as he gets to learn more about his bike this way.
2. No issues of any kind with Handle grips, saddle, brakes, front suspension, shifters (SRAM) till now.
3. No issues with the front derailluers yet.
4. AFAR, the chain has slipped just once yet.
5. The semi-slick tyres have been holding up nice though i feel a little uncertain on very sandy surface. Signs of wearing down are visible now.

Dislikes ( more of things-I-would-love-different on the bike)
1. I was getting a screeching noise two weeks ago when pedaling on uphills. Was not sure if it is coing from the pedals or the crank or the BB. Just tightend the bolt between pedal and crank one day and now the noise is gone. ::beercheers
2. The rear derailleur sometimes does not shift to the higest ratio but again it can be corrected by adjusting the cable tension (I can even do it without getting off the bike now).
3. At 14 kgs I wish it was a little lighter.

To summarize I am very satisfied with the bike and would whole heartedly recommend it to any body looking to start biking. The best part is that you can get it for around 9.5 K if you buy directly from Decathlon (If you are a member or know somebody who is a member). :2thumbs

Pankaj
Pankaj_Chuladhara
-
-

Re: Review: Btwin Rockrider 5.1 after 1500 kms

Postby prakash » July 25th, 2009, 5:22 pm

is rock rider available in chennai
prakash

Postby Pankaj_Chuladhara » July 28th, 2009, 10:13 am

Hi Prakash,

Sorry for the delayed reply. I am not sure if Rockrider is available in Chennai.
These bikes are sold by Decathlon sports store in India. You can contact them to see if they have any retail dealers in Chennai.

http://www.decathlon.in/

Cheers
Pankaj
Pankaj_Chuladhara
-
-

Postby ashwinprsd » February 25th, 2011, 4:57 pm

hey i had a small doubt does the rockrider 5.1 the new one come with adjustable front suspensions ??
ashwinprsd

My Goal: want to know more about bikes and cyclists and get tips from people also contribute when i get a bike for myself :)

Return to Cycle reviews