Road tires on Trek 3700 (for TFN)

If your having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here....

Road tires on Trek 3700 (for TFN)

Postby kk27 » November 4th, 2008, 3:04 pm

Hi Fellas,

As the TFN get closer by the day...the exitement is growing...& so are few certain thoughts & ideas. I'm positive for doing the TFN (unless my boss....!!!!), I'll be doing it on my Trek 3700. Although the thought of buying a road bike is hammering every day...I was just wondering if, I could fit Road Bike rim & tryres on the 3700??? or are there special Road Tyres available for the 3700??

1st option....fitting Road-Rims & Tyres requires a special mechanic who will also be able to fit the rear hub to the new rim....frankly I'm not too comfy with tinkering with the rear hub & I don't want to complicate things during the rides.

2nd option...getting road tyres for the 3700...which means they fit on to the existing rims....hassles cut down to nil even in troublesome situations.

these are just my take on things I'm sure there are better ways out there. So guys pls suggest what mods can I do to my Trek 3700 for TFN.

Kaushik Iyer
People will assume you're saving the planet and/or riding for a cause even if all you want to do is enjoy riding
kk27
-
-

Re: Road tires on Trek 3700 (for TFN)

Postby anindya_911 » November 4th, 2008, 4:13 pm

Kaushik,

Changing the rim and not hub is not worth the all the time it will take and a novice mechanic can screw it up altogether...
I suggest to get commuter tyres, something like 26" x 1.75 and hope for the best. :-)

Apart from the drag from wheel, another drawback will be small cockpit of your 3700. You can fix end bars on the handle bar, that will give you some option of flexing your tired muscle on those 150 km rides. Aluminium bars similar to those in Hero Thunder comes for 100 bucks a pair from Metro Cycles.

Cheers
anindya_911
-
-

Postby nickoo » November 4th, 2008, 4:18 pm

i feel you cannot get the road tires to fir your existing 3700 rim but can opt for thinner tires that replicate the road tires.
nickoo
-
-

Postby raknair » November 4th, 2008, 4:44 pm

@ Kk - Iam happy that you have made up your mind to do the TFN. I cannot wait myself ..... I have already begun training for the TFN but I am dead busy with work as I am busy developing my trading floor. I had plan to help organise the TFN but now.... with no time it is difficult. But very happy to see few like Ravi, Ra!, and the rest putting in so much effort.

Rakesh.
Trek 1200 Road Bike
Scott Addict CX
BSA Montra Jazz A
raknair
-
-

Re: Trek 3700 for TFN

Postby kk27 » November 4th, 2008, 5:17 pm

I'll also be fitting drop handle bars to the existing ones & areo bars ...these I've already thought of & have a design in my head. I needed to know about the Tyres. Are there any commuters tyres available for the 3700...or thiner tyres, or bald tyres with the Road Tyre like design???? coz I belive they'll be more cost effective then going in for a completely new Road Bike ;).

@Rakesh
I'll hope I get leaves for the TFN. I'm gonna start my long rides soon.
People will assume you're saving the planet and/or riding for a cause even if all you want to do is enjoy riding
kk27
-
-

Postby ajayksoni » November 4th, 2008, 5:50 pm

KK,

Check with Venkatesh , He gave me road bike tyers for my SUB40 D
they are really good

~SONi
Bura Jo Dekhan Mai Chala Bura Na Milya Koye, Jo Man Khoja Aapana Muzase Bura Na Koye
ajayksoni
-
-

Postby kk27 » November 4th, 2008, 5:58 pm

so do you feel the difference with those tyres???
kk27
-
-

Postby ajayksoni » November 4th, 2008, 6:15 pm

yeah, it is totally different riding experience, much lighter than MTB tyers
one more guy Iggy on this forum also has those road bike tyers on his TFS 100
Bura Jo Dekhan Mai Chala Bura Na Milya Koye, Jo Man Khoja Aapana Muzase Bura Na Koye
ajayksoni
-
-

Postby venkatesh » November 4th, 2008, 6:22 pm

hi,
yes u can fix road tires for MTB ( its 26 size)
on that u can not do off road. Thats mainly for road.
many sizess u can find in that. Like 26 X 1.25 to 26 X 1.95.
BUt i dont have in stock now.
venkatesh
venkatesh
-
-

Postby kk27 » November 4th, 2008, 8:22 pm

Are you talking about Rims + Tyres or just Tyres which will fit on existing 3700Rims????
kk27
-
-

Next

Return to Bicycle troubleshooting